December 18, 2020
Employee Influenza Immunization Requirements Policy
This policy’s purpose is to prevent the spread of influenza in the university community and to ease the burden on health systems from COVID-19 and the upcoming 2020-2021 flu season.
Scope and Application
The flu vaccine is available to USC employees who are working on-site at no charge through the USC Pharmacies. Flu shots are a fully covered benefit for employees who are enrolled in USC health plans. Additional details regarding availability of the vaccine can be found at the USC Pharmacies website (https://pharmacies.usc.edu/flu- season/). Employees may also choose to get a flu shot through another pharmacy or physician.
Effective November 1, 2020, all faculty and staff working on-site at USC locations will be required to present proof of influenza vaccination. Thereafter, as faculty and staff return to work on-site, the same requirement will stand through the end of the Spring 2021 semester and may be extended as necessary. An exemption to the vaccination policy may be requested for certain medical reasons, as defined by the most current recommendations of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). An employee whose religion prohibits vaccinations or who has philosophical objections may also apply for an exemption.
- Method of providing proof of flu vaccination:
- Faculty and staff upload influenza administration documentation electronically through the electronic health record (EHR) portal
- Faculty and staff who receive vaccination at any USC Pharmacy will automatically satisfy the requirement.
- Exemptions (medical and religious):
- A medical exemption request form (see sample enclosed and click here for fillable PDF) must be completed and signed by an authorized health care provider. This form will be reviewed by medical director(s), and upon approval, it will be noted in the patient immunization summary in the EHR.
- Religious/philosophical exemption form (see sample enclosed and click here for fillable PDF) must be completed by the faculty/staff member (or parent/guardian if faculty/staff member is less than age 18 years old). This form will then be reviewed by the medical director(s), and upon approval, it will be documented on the immunization summary page in the EHR.
- If the medical and/or religious/philosophical exemption request is denied, then the faculty/staff member must comply with the Employee Influenza Vaccination Requirement or the faculty/staff member will not be authorized to work on-site.
- Failure to comply by the specified deadline will result in the faculty/staff member not being authorized to work on-site (and unable to complete the daily Trojan Check process) until submission has been received.
- Documents must contain the following:
- Faculty/staff member’s full name
- Faculty/staff member’s date of birth
- Faculty/staff member’s 10-digit USC employee Identification Number
- Date of immunization
Please direct any questions regarding this policy to:
|Environmental Health and Safety||(323) email@example.com|