August 20, 2018

Reporting to governmental authorities

Any individual may file reports and/or complaints about the university’s handling of prohibited conduct to the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) with the U.S. Department of Education at (415) 486-5555 or OCR complaints should be filed within 180 days of the last date of alleged discrimination. OCR may extend this deadline in a variety of circumstances.

Staff employees and faculty may file reports and/or complaints with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) at or, or the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) at 1-800-669-4000 (TTY 1 (800) 669-6820) or Complaints must be filed with the DFEH no later than one year from the date of the alleged unlawful conduct. If the DFEH believes that a complaint is valid and settlement efforts fail, the DFEH may seek an administrative hearing before the California Fair Employment and Housing Commission (FEHC) or file a lawsuit in court. Both the FEHC and the courts have the authority to award monetary and non-monetary relief in meritorious cases.

Any person who believes that the university as a federal contractor has violated nondiscrimination or affirmative action obligations may contact the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) at 1(800)397-6251 (TTY: 1(202)693-1337).